Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Christian Zombie Killer's Handbook

Jeff Kinley. The Christian Zombie Killers Handbook: Slaying the Living Dead Within. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2011. ISBN 978-1-5955-5438-3.

I'm not sure if I thought I needed something for Halloween or why exactly I picked this book for a review. I was given a complimentary copy of this by Thomas Nelson for providing a review. Their gift does not affect my review in any way.

I found the author's approach and honestly to the problem of sin to be refreshing. It isn't an easy thing to read because sin is not a delightful topic. But it is a very serious problem that the author deals with very clearly. His descriptions of various aspects of sin and salvation are wonderful. He describes the awareness of the devil as detecting "An invisible stench in the space we occupy." I would gladly listen to sermons by Kinley if he is a preacher.

The sections on the problem of sin and the solution of salvation are interspersed with a fictional story about a protagonist named Ben. Ben (and his friends) are dealing with a plague of zombies. The story is very graphic at times - not something I would normally read at all. Reading this part of the book threw me so off the book that I really didn't want to finish it.

Of course, the author ties it all together in the end. The tie didn't work for me. However, I am certain I am not the intended audience for this book. For those who like the horror genre and are unwilling to read other Christian works, this might be a good fit. Certainly I think the Gospel is presented well. If the zombie story draws them in and gets them to hear the message it may be worthwhile. Because of the graphic nature of the zombie parts I will not recommend it to my parishioners.


The Christian Zombie Killers Handbook

No comments:

Post a Comment