Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pidgin English Bibles

I recently ran across two different Pidgin English Bible projects. Both are intended for people in West Africa.

The first is being done by Rev. Dr. Ekoka A. Molindo. His web site states "The Pidgin English used in this Study Bible is commonly spoken in Benin, Cameroon, Nigeria, and Togo with a total population of over 100 million." This is a study Bible. A sample verse: "Jesus talk for Thomas say, " Look Thomas, na me I be road, na me I be true, and na me I be life. No person no day way fit go see my Papa way he no see me first (John 14:6)"

The second is hosted at Bible.org. It is interesting to see the difference in the two versions. A sample of this version: "Jisos kon reply, “Na mi bi di road, and di trut, and di life. Nobodi go fit go mit my Papa unless e pass thru mi (John 14:6)"

No comments:

Post a Comment